Saturday, May 10, 2008

welcome...

I finally decided I would start a blog, my family and friends are tired of trying to keep up with my daily adventures from so far away, so I thought I would make it a little easier on them. ( Plus, not everyone is like my father who gets the Evansville, Indiana paper sent to him in Baltimore, Maryland, daily to keep tabs on my work. Nor do most live close enough to my parents to see the personal gallery they have started to collect and hang up on what remaining empty wall space still exists in their house and if you have ever been to our house, dad's going to need to build an addition just so he can have more walls to fill.)

SO ... What better way to start off my new blog then with the exciting Indiana Primary ... I never would have thought when the year began and the 2008 Presidential Election push began that Indiana's primary on May 6 would even matter or that the hoosiers would have a say. It hadn't mattered since 1968 when Democratic Candidate Robert F. Kennedy beat Eugene McCarthy in Indiana only one month before Kennedy was killed.

What a crazy month it has been, exciting for sure and it even put Evansville on the map (for those of you who weren't sure where the heck I have been living for the last year and a half or had never heard of Evansville, IN it really does exist, after an earthquake, and a visit from Barack on the night the Pennsylvania primary results rolled in, the rest of the country now knows we exist, and that earthquakes really can happen in Indiana ... )I had forgotten how exciting politics could be since I left D.C. almost 5 years ago, but despite the crazy early morning and late-night-deadline-pushing appearances from Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama it was awesome to experience history being made from a front row seat.

I covered Hillary in a small town hall meeting outside, Barack meeting with blue collar workers in Evansville and a visit from his wife, Michele Obama speaking to an gym of people. I then got a chance to cover Obama supporters waiting for results to come in Tuesday night. As exciting as the last three weeks had been Tuesday night did not disappoint. Down to the final hour and last possible second before the paper was printed (we actually did stop the presses ) Hillary pulled off only a 2 % win over Obama. But, Obama's supporters are like none I have ever seen. I have never seen so many people so passionate about a person because they believe that person can bring about change. People have quit their jobs and volunteered traveling the country for someone and something they really truly believe in.
So enough of my rambling... here's my stuff... and the beginning of my blog. ENJOY.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

there's blank wall space @ your parents house??? :)

i love the photos of the Obama supporters! it's nice to get to see some of your work outside of THS! hehehe!

Andrea said...

awesome possum! keep it up my wonderful lobster friend; i'll be coming here again. hope all is swell in indiana!