Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Happy 100 birthday, Grandpa; enjoy rest of ride

Grandpa and I Thanksgiving 2007.

"Elderly Love" my grandparents Gladys and Percy Batey, ages at time photo was taken 92 and 95, Thanksgiving 2003, The last Thanksgiving I spent with both of them. I wanted to photograph them so I would have memories... I didn't know how long I would have with both of them.


We have a column that runs daily in The Evansville Courier & Press called "Good Morning Tristate", It is a chance for anyone in the newsroom to write a column about themselves or something that happened to them and share with our readers. I decided I would write one to my Grandpa who turns 100 today.

With people living longer and longer, society is getting used to seeing people live to 100. So much so that we no longer see it as a big to deal to live that long. But, I beg to differ.

My respect for those who reach old age comes from a man who stood on the sidelines of every cross-country championship, saw me off to the prom with the promise I'd be the most beautiful girl in the room and was ready with a plate of cookies, even when I was in trouble with my parents.

As a photographer, I have met incredible people and some of my favorite are senior citizens. I credit my grandpa with the love and respect I have for them.

Today, my grandpa, Percy Batey of Williamsport, Pa., turns 100, or as he told me last week on the phone, he is turning 50 again. Technically, he is my stepgrandpa; he married my grandma in 1977, four years before I was born. But to me he has always been grandpa.

He was there when I was born. Though he and grandma lived about four hours away, he was there to celebrate every birthday with me until I left home for college. Every play, from elementary school through high school, he was always in the audience and was by my side to share every big accomplishment and milestone in my life. He taught me how tie my shoes, ride a bike without training wheels, roller skate and how to drive.

The lessons he has taught me in first 27 years of my life have shaped the person I am.

He has lived to see more than I could ever imagine in a lifetime. He's lived through the 1918 influenza epidemic, the Great Depression, both world wars, the civil rights movement and the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He has seen warfare develop and change, watched as a man walked on the moon and seen medicine and technology advance beyond his wildest dreams.

You would think our lives could not be more different, but I have come to realize the older we both get, the more similar we are. It's true, life comes full circle.

Grandpa and I spend hours every couple of weeks talking on the phone, something we started doing more frequently once my grandma passed away more than two years ago. After the current events are done, we talk about life. He tells me life can sometimes be a little lonely. I tell him I know what he means. I tell him the unpredictability of life is sometimes difficult. He reassures me that it's the best part. "Sit back and enjoy the ride, Erin," he says.

He tells me to continue chasing my dreams, and not to walk around in life "with blinders on" because I never know who or what amazing adventure could be right in front of my eyes. He tells me to remember that kindness and respect open doors, and hard work will make my dreams come true.

He tells me that nothing is ever more important than family, but family isn't just limited to those who share your DNA. He tells me that good friendships can be hard to find but will enrich your life more than you know. He tells me not to be afraid to open myself up to love and always make sure that you love all the people around you.

Though I know our time together is more precious now than ever, all the moments big and small we have shared will become part of his legacy, and the memories won't ever be far from my heart.

Grandpa, happy 100th birthday. I love you more than you know. Enjoy the rest of the ride.

— Erin McCracken464-7681or mccrackene@courierpress.com

3 comments:

Abbie said...

=)

How sweet!

I'm so glad you have a blog, Erin!! I can't wait to read/see more!!

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

sounds like a wonderful man! you know, i just read an article that was talking about the birth of new nerve cells in the elderly and how that linked to people who "tend to be socially connected, with strong ties to relatives, friends and community. They are often both physically healthy and physically active. And they tend to be engaged in stimulating or intellectually challenging activities." I think it all boils down to what your grandpa said about love and not having the blinders on. wise words, yo.