Thursday, June 5, 2008

celebrations

My co-worker BOB says that "every photographer should photograph the people they love." He believes this should be "done often. Because as with life, things change. The people you love can change, and sometimes who they are also changes." I couldn't agree with this more. As a photojournalist I shoot strangers lives everyday,I document the good, the bad, the joys and the sorrows. But I think that we need to do the same with those people we know the best and love the most. Unfortunately if someone were to find my images of my love ones long after I am gone, they might not ever really know I existed. I am always behind the camera and other than snapshots the rest of my family take, my collection of images rarely have me in them. But some may argue that might not be such a bad thing.

I had the honor of documenting two huge milestones and accomplishments in my family two weekends in a row. Which also meant I got to travel back east for two back to back long weekends.
My little sister, Lauren, who those of you that are close to my family also know her as JUJU, graduated from Elizabethtown College. This was a huge deal. JuJu was diagnosed with some learning disabilities at a young age, school was never really came too easily for her but bound and determined to not let that get in her way she took to college and worked her butt off through every class and test. She worked hard and was respected by her friends, professors, employers and of course her family.
This was her big day, one that none of us can describe in words how very proud of her accomplishments we are.

The second was my Grandpa's 100th Birthday. I already posted a column I wrote about him but ... he is the cutest 100 year -old ever. (I know I am biased), but after 23 family members from across the country gathered for a party weekend and many friends came from as far away as Mississippi, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey and Washington state to celebrate with him he told us it was one of the best days he could have ever asked for. He admitted after 3 days of partying and more cake then he's ever eaten in a short amount of time he was exhausted. But you can't blame him. I'd Get a little worn out after a 100 years too. He is wonderful and it was a real honor to have had him be such an amazing influence in all our lives.
( He is looking good for 100... and he has never spend the night in the hospital his entire life.)

Here are the images of my loved ones...

Lauren noticing her best friend parents who came from NJ to see her graduate.

Got to give "JUJU props..." we were the only people that had a sign. Needless to say it left a few people wondering, who the hell would name their child Ju Ju. Long story... but a funny one.

That's right a flamingo. (I got some made tape skills. The president of the college told her he liked he hat when he gave Lars her diploma. )


My Grandpa... looking good for 100. Isn't he adorable?

Everyone toasted him, before he blew out his candles. Because of fire codes we were unable to put 100 candles on the cake. We might have burned down the restaurant.

Marena, My cousin heath's daughter who is 18 months, she is blowing kisses. She is cute. going to give her dad a run for his money when she gets older, paybacks... cuzo.

Theron... (or Napoleon? ) You can dress them up but ... taking them out? that's a whole different story. He is the resident family funny man.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

we don’t know each other, but i’m a fellow evansville resident and was spending the last hours of my saturday scouring the world of wonderful, stupid, funny, sad, loving, disappointing, and crazy blogs from all over the world. i read blogs from people in san francisco, belgium, new zealand, denver, and thailand to name only a few, then i randomly came across this inspiring blog from the very city i call home! it just made me realize that despite the physical size, in some ways it really is a small world. stumbling across your blog on the world wide web when i just as likely could have happened upon a blog from beijing, somehow made me feel a little bigger in this world. oh, and for what it’s worth coming from a non-expert, you take some nice photos!

you stay classy, evansville.